Frequently Asked Questions


Check-In / Check-Out


Medical Information

Guided Tours & Leisure Activities

General Information


Who is eligible to stay at the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort? 
Note : Eligibility criteria updated March 2016.

Before seeking a reservation at Edelweiss Lodge and Resort, please review the following list of eligible personnel. All content within the referenced regulation and this website is based on Commanding General, United States Army, Europe authority.  Edelweiss Lodge and Resort patronage is governed by Department of Defense Instruction 1015.10 (Programs for Military Morale, Welfare, and Recreation) and AE Regulation 600-700 (Identification Cards and Individual Logistical Support). Military sponsors should not reserve additional rooms under their name for other eligible military patrons. A room reserved with multiple sponsors should be reserved based on the highest ranking sponsor. Guests with both retired and civilian status living in Europe, must reserve based on the civilian rank. Room rates may change upon check-in based on sponsors rank. Maximum of three rooms reserved per authorized sponsor. Click here for a complete eligibility listing.

Are there any rules for sponsoring guests?
Military sponsors should not reserve additional rooms under their name for other eligible military patrons. Sponsored guest must be accompanied by the military/DOD sponsor at check-in and throughout their entire stay. A room reserved with multiple sponsors should be reserved based on the highest ranking sponsor. Reservations are not transferable. Room rates may change upon check-in based on sponsors rank. If you are sponsoring a non-military ID card holding guests please read below.

May I sponsor Non Military ID Card holding guests?
As a valid military ID card holder you are eligible to sponsor additional rooms. Sponsored guests are eligible to utilize all Edelweiss Lodge and Resort programs and services. In accordance with military guidance, it is required that authorized guests who are sponsoring non military ID card holders must complete the IACS Online Section . Guests not included on the IACS roster will experience delays in gaining access to the resort. The information should be received no earlier than 30 days prior to arrival and no later than 7 business days before arrival. Please refer to the online section for more information. SUBMIT INSTALLATION ACCESS > 

Are retiree ID card holders eligible to use the AAFES exchange and post office?
Due to international agreements, the use of the Commissary, Community Bank and PX/BX are limited to personnel assigned to US Forces in Europe and NATO ID card holders who have this privilege. This includes rationed items such as gas coupons. Be aware that gas prices are considerably higher compared to US standards. Military Post Offices may be used only be retirees who reside in Germany for over 30 days and who have Box R privileges with restrictions. Alpine Adventures is located in Edelweiss Lodge and Resort and has an excellent array of Bavarian items, t-shirts and other souvenirs.

What are the check-in and check-out times?
Check-in is at 1500 hrs and check-out is 1100 hrs.

What is the early departure policy?
Upon check in you will sign a registration card that verifies your departure date.  After that point, you will be held accountable in fulfilling the reservation to that specified date. If you choose to depart earlier than the signed departure date, we will charge a full one night room rate penalty.  Exceptions to policy for real world operational/duty or emergency medical situations can be submitted to waive cancellation fee.

How far in advance are reservations accepted?
Reservations are taken up to 365 days in advance and can be made by calling our Vacation Planning Office, sending an email to
or book online.

What is Edelweiss Lodge and Resorts cancellation policy?
The Edelweiss Lodge and Resort has a 14-day cancellation policy. If you need to cancel, modify or change your reservation within 14 days of your arrival date, you will be charged for the first night's stay (full price). Reservations made within 14 days of the arrival are considered final sale and cannot be cancelled, modified or changed without being charged for the first night's stay (full price). During the Christmas and New Years holiday period (19 Dec - 2 Jan) there is a 50% deposit charged to the credit card on file 60 days prior. The remining 50% of the room rate will be charged 30 days prior to arrival. Your credit card needs to have an expiration date past December 2016 otherwise the card can't be charged and we will cancel your reservation. Cancellations received after charged deposits result in forfeiture. Exceptions to cancellation policy for military duty with proper documentation. Cancellation policies differ with different program packages. Call or email the Vacation Planning Center if you have any questions concerning your specific cancellation policy. If cancelling reservations after Vacation Planning Center business hours, please contact the hotel operator for assistance. Call the Vacation Planning Center (011-49) 8821-9440 or email: to find out specific information concerning your cancellation policy. If canceling after Vacation Planning Center business hours, please contact the front desk.

How do I get directions to and from the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort?
If you are traveling by car from a location in Germany, to get directions. For GPS navigation systems use: 17 Gernackerstrasse, 82467 Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

Does Edelweiss Lodge and Resort provide transportation to the resort?
Garmisch is accessible by a train/taxi combination or rental car (both are about an hour from Munich via Autobahn). Trains run once an hour to Garmisch. If you want to look at a schedule, try and click on the English link middle left side of page. To see schedules, type "Garmisch-Partenkirchen Bahnhof" in the destination section. Taxis are familiar with the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort and are located right outside the Bahnhof for a fare of around 8-10 Euro.

I am arriving from Munich International Airport, how do I get to Edelweiss Resort by train?
As you exit the baggage claim area in the airport, you will need to look for a sign with a solid green circle with a white "S" in it. This is the sign directing you to the S-Bahn (subway). The sign will lead you to the station in the airport that is located in Terminal 1. Continue to follow the signs until you reach the Deutsch Bahn (DB) train counter to obtain a ticket to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. The train counter will be able to print up an itinerary which tells you which train to catch, where and when it leaves. You will board the subway downstairs. After 40 minutes on the train pay attention to a changeover at Pasing. Exit the train. The connection time can sometimes be very tight. If it is a tight connection, make sure to ask the counter the track number (gleis) for your train to Garmisch. Once you have made the switch in Pasing (or another stop as specified by the itinerary), you can sit and enjoy the scenery, as you have a one hour and 20 minute ride ahead of you. The train will stop directly in Garmisch. The stop is one after Farchant. For more information regarding train schedules please visit: Taxis are located in front of the train station and should cost you 8-10 Euro to any of the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort facilities in Garmisch.

Another option is to take the Meinfernbus directly from the Munich Airport to Garmisch-Partenkirchen Bahnhof. You can reserve seats in advance. Please visit:, the airport is 'Munchen Flughafen'. To find the bus stop at (MUC) airport, you need to make your way to Terminal 2. Once in Terminal 2, go out the door by Subway to the bus terminal. Look for a Meinfernbus sign to Garmisch. The bus is generally bright green.  

Is there a place to rent a car in Garmisch or Munich Airport?
You may reserve a car while staying at the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort.

Munich International Airport
• Europcar 011-49-(0)180-58000
• Europcar 011-49-(0)8821-943083 (will take the VAT form)

To get to the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort using a GPS navigation systems use the address :
17 Gernackerstrasse, 82467 Garmisch

Where can I get information about SPACE A travel information? / /

Do you have American Disability Act (ADA) rooms available at the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort?
ADA rooms are available at the Edelweiss Lodge. Rooms have been modified to accommodate people in wheelchairs with modified shower and bathrooms.

Where can I get prescriptions filled while on vacation at Edelweiss Lodge and Resort?
Apotheke is the German word for Pharmacy and the known symbol is a large red "A." Should you need a prescription filled, it is good to know that German pharmacies will accept a prescription from an American doctor. If you should need a prescription filled while vacationing in Germany, it's also important to know that you will most likely have to pay in Euro. Each German pharmacy also has a Notdienst, or after hours emergency service that operates from the time the shop closes in the evening until it reopens in the morning. On weekends, most emergency pharmacists operate 24 hours. Although it's safe to say that services are available should you find yourself in dire straits, if medication is a part of your daily routine, then it's best to plan ahead and bring enough to last your entire trip abroad.

Are there military medical facilities nearby?
There are not military medical facilities nearby. The Garmisch hospital is easily accessible from the resort. Contact information: Klinikum Garmisch-Partenkirchen (011-49) 8821-770.

TRICARE information while traveling overseas.
If you desire routine care or need emergency or urgent care while visiting Garmisch and you are a TRICARE Standard member, follow the same procedures as you do at home. Click here to download the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort TRICARE information sheet >

How do I make a reservation for a guided tour or recreation program?
Please call the Vacation Planning Center at the contact numbers listed below to reserve a tour. To reserve a recreation program, please contact Alpine Adventures 08821-944-4142. It is recommended that you reserve tours and recreation prior to your arrival.

Are Edelweiss Lodge and Resort tours physically demanding?
Part of the charm of Europe is in its walking districts which are not accessible by car. Please note that most tours require moderate walking. Tour guides set a pace for everyone in the group to enjoy the sites. One in particular, Neuschwanstein Castle sits atop a steep hill but horse drawn carriages are available for hire and are popular.

What are the cancellation policies for the guided tours?
All reservations will be charged at 1200 noon the day before the tour.
No refunds for tours canceled after 1200 noon. All tours require a minimum of 15 paying guests for the tour to run. The return time is approximate due to conditions beyond our control. For Horse & Carriage Rides, all children must pay. Infants under 1yr are free on lap. Reservations are final and non-refundable. For all other tours, youth are ages 5-14. Children 4 & under are free on lap. Non-Edelweiss Resorts guests can only reserve seats the day prior on a space available basis. Children 4 & and under are required to have a seat. Child seats are required. Child seats are not provided. All tours and prices are subject to change. Please contact our Vacation Planning Center in advance to confirm availability or cancel a reserved tour.

When did the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort open?
September 15, 2004

How many rooms are in the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort?
246 rooms, 24 junior suites, 2 loft suites and ADA rooms. We also have 12 Vacation Cabins located in the Vacation Village.

Are pets allowed in Edelweiss Lodge and Resort facilities?
Pets are welcome at the Vacation Village campgrounds for tent and gravel sites, but pets cannot be left alone, unattended (vehicles included).  No pets are allowed ON Edelweiss Resort property. We have four comfy vacation cabins that are equipped to allow dogs. Guest must reserve prior to arrival to ensure availability.The Garmisch kennel is within a five minutes drive from the Resort. Contact information can be found at There is another kennel located in Bad Kohlgrub (about 30 minutes by car) Tel 08845-757346 or 0162-4062361.

Is there child care available?
Edelweiss Resort has a Just For Kids program for children ages 5-12 year-round. During winter children can participate in the Just For Ski Kids program. We also offer a Kids Night Out offered different nights throughout the week which gives parents an evening to spend together. Check the Edelpost located in your guest room for a weekly schedule of events.

Unfortunately, due to military restrictions and required background checks for those looking after children we can no longer provide a babysitter list. It is recommended that you contact the CDC or CYS for babysitters with required background checks (numbers listed below). 

Child Care
Child care for children ages 6 weeks up to 5 years old is available at the USAG Garmisch Child Development Center, located next to the Edelweiss Resort Vacation Village. The CDC can often accommodate sameday requests, but reservations are recommended. The CDC honors Army Family Covenant entitlements from your home garrison, including free and/or reduced-fee child care hours. Proof of immunizations is not required.

$4.00 per hour/per kid
Ages: 6 week – Kindergarten age (age 4)
Only open M – F 8:30 – 16:30 (closed US holidays and weekends)
Guests can call up to 4 weeks in advance to make a reservation
They do need to have their shot records and any documentations for allergies and/or special needs.
Closed: Federal holidays
DSN: 440-2684 CIV: +49 (0) 8821-750-2684

Middle School and Teen Center
Recreational activities for youth in grades 6 - 12 are available at the USAG Garmisch Middle School/Teen Center, located next to the Edelweiss Resort Vacation Village. Proof of immunizations is not required. The MSTC offers a computer lab, video games and more. Youth are also welcome to participate in MSTC field trips and sports activities.
Open: Monday - Thursday 1430 - 1900, Friday 1430 - 2200.
Closed: Sundays and federal holidays
DSN: 440-2600
CIV: +49 (0) 8821-750-2600

What forms of payment does the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort accept?
We prefer customers use their MWR Chase card. We also accept Visa, American Express, Mastercard, Discover Card and Military Star card. We also can accept cash in US Dollars and Euros. If you pay with Euros you will receive your change in dollars. There is an ATM in the main lobby that distributes both Dollars and Euros.

Does Edelweiss Lodge and Resort have high speed internet access available?
High Speed Internet Access is now available free of charge at the Edelweiss Resort. WiFi is available in select guest areas and in the guest rooms.

Are the rooms equipped with 110V or 220V outlets?
Rooms are only equipped with 220V outlets. Dual voltage appliances will work with a simple adapter. Alpine Adventures has converters available for purchase. All rooms are equipped with hair dryers and irons.

Who do I contact for lost and found articles?
Please write an email to In the email please include your name, dates of stay, room number and a detailed description of item. Please note that we do charge a shipping and handling fee for return items.

Does the Edelweiss Resort offer laundry service?
There are washing machines and dryers located at the Edelweiss Lodge and Vacation Village. Supplies are available for purchase on-site.

If I am not staying at the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort, may I still use the Wellness Club?
Yes. Guests not staying at either the Edelweiss Lodge or Vacation Village cabins must pay a membership fee for usage - Adults $5, Youth $3, Child Free.

Please certify below that you are eligible to make a reservation.

If you do not find room availability on your desired dates, please contact our Vacation Planning Center by email or phone.

Edelweiss Lodge and Resort authorized patrons include the following personnel (subject to stipulations on the RESERVATION ELIGIBILITY PAGE). Active-duty military members in EUCOM, military retirees (click here for details), military reservists in EUCOM, national guardsmen in EUCOM, current Department of Defense civilian employees assigned to EUCOM, foreign military currently on orders assigned to a U.S. military installation and the family members of authorized patrons. NATO military members with a USAREUR installation pass and AE FORM 600-700 are eligible to stay at the Edelweiss Resort.

Edelweiss Lodge and Resort patronage is governed by Department of Defense Instruction 1015.10 (Programs for Military Morale, Welfare, and Recreation). A room reserved with multiple sponsors should be reserved based on the highest ranking sponsor. Guests with both retired and civilian status living in Europe, must reserve based on the civilian rank. Room rates may change upon check-in based on sponsors rank. Eligible guests can sponsor additional rooms for non-eligible guests. *For a complete eligibility listing, please read RESERVATION ELIGIBILITY PAGE.

If you do not find room availability on your desired dates, please contact our Vacation Planning Center by email or phone.